National Safe Motherhood Day 2016 was celebrated on May 28 across the country to create awareness on maternity care for pregnant and lactating women.
The health, nutrition and population programme (HNPP) of BRAC participated in the event along with the government through various activities. BRAC participated actively in all the government events at district and community level.
Let's have a look on BRAC's activities that were carried out on National Safe Motherhood Day 2016:
Activities done by essential health care (EHC) and maternal neonatal and child health programme (MNCH)
- Community health workers of essential health care (EHC) and maternal neonatal and child health (MNCH) programme mobilised the pregnant women to deliver anti natal care (ANC) and post natal care (PNC) from community clinic.
- Paramedics of MNCH rural programme provided free ANC/PNC to the women in char area.
- Manoshi midwives provided ANC/PNC to the women in slum areas in BRAC delivery centres.
- Field staff of HNPP attended a rally organised by the Ministry of Health of Bangladesh.
Activities done by Marketing Innovation for Health (MIH)
- Staff of MIH and other programmes of HNPP participated in the rally in seven districts and 51 sub-districts organised by government.
- Community health workers highlighted a range of topics like anti natal care, birth planning, usefulness of delivery kit among others during health education forum
- Community health workers of MIH programme mobilised mothers to deliver comprehensive ANC through government service centres.