In Bangladesh, lack of job opportunities, poor local awareness on safe migration, inefficient centralised migration processes, and high cost of migration are all contributing factors to a large numbers of migrants choosing dangerous, irregular migration channels. To ensure ‘Safe Migration’ and more sustainable reintegration, BRAC in partnership with IOM is implementing the project “Bangladesh: Sustainable Reintegration and Improved Migration Governance,” funded by European Union in Bangladesh. Under this project BRAC works on several issues for sustainable reintegration support aiming for 3000 returning migrants from Europe.
- Raise awareness to sensitise community people, local government and Civil Society on social reintegration and safe migration.
- Provide immediate assistance like accommodation and food, for those unwilling or unable to return to their district immediately upon arrival.
- Provide psycho-social counseling for individual returnee
- Need based trauma counseling to returnees and their families
- Providing financial literacy training and to returnees and family members
- Assist returnees to become financially independent through tailored economic reintegration plan