In the quest to ensure qualitative early childhood education for children of ages 3-5 and prop up national stipulation, BRAC Education Programme launched a two-year integrated play-based early childhood development (ECD) centre in collaboration with BRAC-Institute of Educational Development (BIED) and BRAC Health, Nutrition and Population Programme. A total of 20 ECD centres were opened in Muktagacha and Mymensing in January 2014. Having immense community response, 220 more centres were opened in 2015 in five upazilas ie, Mymensing Sadar, Gouripur, Trishal, Fulbaria, Muktagacha and Gaforgaon of Mymensing district.
The aim of this intervention is to stimulate children’s learning capability in a playful environment, improve children’s health and nutrition and raise community awareness.
• One-room centre, 3 to 5-year-old children
• No tuition fees and flexible school timing
• Class duration 2 hours, 5 days in a week
• Child-friendly teaching environment, short vacations and 22-25 children in each centre
• Play-based curriculum
• Group learning and emphasis on participatory activities
• Needs-based curriculum material
• Well trained staffs and caregivers on ECD
• Participation of parents and community
• Mothers volunteering in the centre
• Outdoor play space Home visit by caregivers